Friday, September 4, 2009

“Untitled (New York City)” Helen Levitt

“Untitled (New York City)” a photograph by Helen Levitt

Helen Levitt died in March of 2009. She left behind a legacy of amazing "street photography."
This particular photo spoke to me on many levels. The children are masked and almost frightening to look at. It reminds me of "Lord of the Flies,"and the possibility of what evils children could do if left to their own devices.
On the other hand it reminds me of a time when children could entertain themselves with a simple paper mask rather than video games, tv, or the internet. Technology has come a long way in a short time and has many great advantages but sometimes the cost is great. The pace of life has quickened to break neck speeds. I find it hard to keep up. I find myself yearning for time to just sit on the porch and amuse myself with paper masks.
Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment